University of Virginia

Historic Garden Week

Due to COVID-19 considerations the Garden Club of Virginia has cancelled this event.  Any further information or updates will be posted to this website.

Pavilion Homes and Serpentine Gardens

Due to COVID-19 considerations the Garden Club of Virginia has cancelled this event.  Any further information or updates will be posted to this website.

Monday, April 20, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. No admission charge.

Founded by Thomas Jefferson and established in 1819, the University of Virginia is the only American university designated as a World Heritage site. Thomas Jefferson’s Academical Village, which is on the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register, is also designated a National Historic Landmark.

Directions:

There are multiple options for parking and transportation in and around UVA’s Central Grounds. HGW visitors are encouraged to park and either walk to all destinations or use the University Transit Service (UTS) Northline or Central Grounds Shuttle free of charge. UTS routes run frequently from all locations.

Parking:

For those driving to the University of Virginia, there are three paid parking options at UVA (hourly rate applies):

  1. Central Grounds Parking Garage: 400 Emmet Street; underneath the UVA Bookstore;
  2. The Corner Parking Lot: 1501 University Avenue; enter off of University Avenue, between Finch Store and Little John’s Deli,
  3. and 14th Street Parking Garage: 104 14th Street NW; Enter off of Wertland Street.

Parking accomodations for people with disabilities can be found on the University's Parking and Transportation's webpage.

Bus Route Information:

UTS (University Transit Service); UTS Routes and Schedules for bus routes and schedules; or CAT (Charlottesville Area Transit), CAT Schedule and Maps for bus routes and schedules. Two routes serve the University Grounds (Free Trolley and Route 7).


Pavilion Gardens

The Garden Club of Virginia restored the University’s Pavilion Gardens and their surrounding serpentine walls with proceeds from Historic Garden Week, beginning with the West Pavilion gardens in 1947. The serpentine walls were part of Jefferson’s Academical Village. The Garden Club of Virginia hired noted Colonial Williamsburg landscape architects Alden Hopkins and Donald Parker to design the Colonial Revival gardens. The West Pavilion Gardens were restored between 1947 and 1953 and the East Lawn between 1960 and 1965. Research on the history of the gardens is currently underway. Work in the gardens continues to be supported by the Garden Club of Virginia. Tours of the gardens, conducted at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., start at the steps of the Rotunda facing the Lawn.

  • Pavilion I: Claire and Scott Beardsley
  • Pavilion III: Charlotte and Carl Zeithaml
  • Pavilion V: Pat Lampkin and Wayne Cozart
  • Pavilion VII: The Colonnade Club

Floral arrangements in Pavilion I are courtesy of the Keswick Garden Club, in Pavilion III are courtesy of the Thomas Jefferson Garden Club, in Pavilion V are courtesy of the Dogwood Garden Club, in Pavilion VII courtesy of Charlottesville Garden Club. 

Select student Lawn rooms will also be open for viewing.

  • Edgar Allan Poe Room (West Range Room 13)

Edgar Allan Poe (1809-49) was a student for one year at the University, a year after it opened in 1825. The University’s Raven Society maintains Poe’s room on the West Range as recognition of his time here.


Special Collections Library

The Mary and David Harrison Institute for American History, Literature, and Culture and the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library. Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. No admission charge. Special Presentation in the Auditorium at 2 p.m. “The Making of the UVA Memorial to Enslaved Laborers” will include a documentary film chronicling the creation of the Memorial. The film includes footage of the public meetings and discussions where the design ideas emerged, interviews with the designers working on the project, and the fabrication and construction process involved in bringing the “Freedom Ring” off the drawing board and into the ground. Following the film, a panel discussion moderated by University Landscape Architect Mary Hughes will explore lesser known aspects of the Memorial’s “backstory” such as advocacy, public engagement, archival research, and landscape design. Books and manuscripts from UVA Special Collections related to the history of slavery at the University will be on display 30 minutes before and after the presentation. For further information visit The University of Virginia Library website.


Carr's Hill

Open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Located on the hill above the corner of Rugby Road and University Avenue, Carr’s Hill has been home to nine University presidents and their families and is currently occupied by University President James E. Ryan and his family. In 2009, the University celebrated the centennial of Carr’s Hill, designed as the president’s residence by the New York architecture firm McKim, Mead and White. Carr's Hill is Listed on the National Register