WALTER M. SEWARD FUND
The Seward Forest Fund was established
in 1978 through the sale of forestlands willed to the University
by Dr. Walter Seward in 1932. Over the years, this endowment has
grown and has funded numerous plantings and Grounds improvement
projects. In 1978, the Arboretum Committee honored Dr. Seward
by transplanting a grouping of pine trees from the Seward Forest
on the south side of Brooks Hall.
Arboretum and Landscape Committee oversees allocations from this
fund for small and large planting and landscape construction projects.
In recent years, the committee has directed funds to carry out
design studies for needed landscape improvements and to financially
support their implementation. In 2004-06, the Seward Endowment
contributed to the Meadow Creek/Dell restoration project, Brown
College landscape improvements, University Avenue crosswalks at
the Corner, Clark Park, and the Washington and Jefferson statue
courtyards on the Lawn.
the Committee funded a conceptual study for landscape improvements
to Engineer's Way and Madison Bowl. Currently, concept plans for
the embankments at the Dell and Newcomb Road are underway.